Fun facts about pigs!
- Pork is the world's most widely eaten meat.
- Although the main purpose of raising pigs is for food, pigs can also provide medically important by-products for people including skin grafts and replacement heart valves.
- There are over 2,000 pork producers in Michigan, providing over 5,000 jobs throughout the state.
- Many food products are categorized as 'pork', including ham, bacon, sausage, pepperoni and pork chops.
- Pigs grow fast! A typical pig will go from around two pounds at birth to about 250 pounds in six months.
- A lot of scientific research has gone in to determining the best diet needed for pigs to grow. Their typical meal consists of a mixture of corn, barley and soybeans mixed with vitamins and minerals.
- Farmers and veterinarians work hard every day to provide pigs with everything they need, including a balanced diet, clean water, a health program and the right type of environment.
- During colonial times, people living on Manhattan Island had to build a wall to keep out wild pigs. This area is now known as Wall Street.
- Many of today's farmers go to college to study agriculture, animal science or business before they start working full-time on the farm.